Many people that come to Thailand come in thinking, I can do this cheap because everyone says so and then proceed to blow every dime in a week. Stop it is very easy to live here for 500 dollars a month or I have done it on 3oo before just to see if it can be done, it can. The trick to all this is saving money and self-control. This will be a guide and a kind of step by step of living in Thailand on a budget.
- Get a budget app
- Convert all your money at the first of the month and get a local account at the bank. saves fees.
- Get a Condo or house away from the city centers
- Shop at the local farmers markets
- Wash your own clothes, laundry mat all over
- Get a bike, petrol is cheap here
I will give a breakdown of my budget for last month.
- Rent – 3,500 Baht
- Food – 3,000 Baht per person, 2 people
- Electric / water – 2,800 Baht
- Entertainment – 2,000 Baht
- Visa Fee – 1,900 Baht
- Cell phone /Internet – 500 Baht
- Wash Clothes – 200 Baht
Total: 16,900 Baht or 502 USD
Also please check out Why More Americans are retiring in Thailand !
As you can see it is very possible to enjoy Thailand for months or even years on a fixed budget. Keep in mind, if you have health issues, your budget will increase, don’t hit the bar every night.
So until next time enjoy Thailand and have fun